Study Shows That Network Visibility Can Help Avoid the IT Blame Game
July 15, 2014 – Endace, a leader in network connectivity, monitoring and management, announced the results of a study of 547 U.S. and European-based network and security operations (NetOps and SecOps) professionals, which found that 45% of IT staffs monitor network and application performance manually, instead of implementing proven network monitoring tools. The study, which was conducted during the spring of 2014, also found that 77% of respondents have reported the root cause of a network or security event to their executive team that turned out to be incorrect. Overall, 73% of surveyed IT staff said they currently have unresolved network events.
Other key findings from the survey:
Attribution Often Incorrect
- 79% of the surveyed organizations have experienced network events that were attributed to the wrong IT group. (Tweet this)
- 87% of respondents said that, at least once, they had to report the root cause of a network or security issue to their management but found that they didn’t have the information required to be 100% accurate in their assessment.
- More than one-third (39%) said this has happened at least a few times.
Security Events on the Rise
- 83% of respondents said there has been an increase in the number of security events they have investigated in the past year. (Tweet this)
- 81% of SecOps respondents indicated that their organization has experienced a network security breach.
- 27% of breaches were discovered without the use of alerting tools, through manual searches and user reporting.
Growing Mobility Demands
- 84% of respondents said their organization has implemented a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiative
- 26% of European respondents said they have no plans to monitor the network for performance issues related to BYOD. When combined with the fact that 45% of organizations are manually monitoring the performance of their networks, the growing amount of mobile device-generated traffic is on pace to overwhelm enterprise networks.
Downtime Hugely Impactful
- 70% of NetOps respondents indicated that they have had a critical network event that took at least one full business day to diagnose.
- More than half of U.S. respondents (52%) said it costs their organization more than half a million dollars in revenue per hour when they have a network outage or performance degradation. (Tweet this)
IT is facing new challenges related to the growing use of software-defined networking, virtualization and higher performing networks, as well as increasingly more sophisticated attacks on company IT assets. The clear message from this survey is that one of the best tools for SecOps and NetOps professionals to have at their disposal is 100 percent network visibility that is tied to their detection management systems. It’s the combination of proactive management and the ability to do forensic analysis that will give these IT professionals the right tools to maximize application delivery, protect their corporate assets and avoid the IT blame game.
Latest News & Announcements
9 November 2023
Endace WINS Most Innovative Cloud Threat Detection Investigation and Response
Endace Wins Most Innovative Cloud Threat Detection Investigation & Response (TDIR) in InfoSec Innovator Awards 2023
11 October 2023
Endace Wins 2023 Incident Forensics Solution of the Year Award
The EndaceProbe™ Analytics Platform has won the “Incident Forensics Solution of the Year” award in the 7th annual CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards program
12 September 2023
Endace and Elastic Partner to Deliver Greater Network Observability and Enhanced Forensics
Elastic Stack and Elastic Security seamlessly integrate with EndaceProbe’s always-on packet capture to accelerate cyber threat response and network performance.
26 July 2023
Endace Scalable Packet Capture Delivers Unified Visibility Across Hybrid Cloud
EndaceProbe Cloud provides scalable packet capture for unified visibility across on-premise, private-cloud and public cloud environments
31 May 2023
Endace Wins 2023 Fortress Cyber Security Award
Endace has won the 2023 Fortress Cyber Security Awards in the Network Security category.