13 November 2012
Survey Shows Lack of Network History Costs Large Enterprises Millions of Dollars Each Year
Lack of Historical Network Visibility Delays Time-to-Resolution on Critical Network and Security Issues
Sunnyvale, CA — November 13, 2012— Endace (LSE: EDA), the world leader in intelligent network recording and network visibility infrastructure, today released the findings from its 2012 Network Visibility Survey. The survey findings highlight the operational challenges being faced by IT teams as they come to terms with the latest high-speed, network-centric technologies such as cloud, unified communications and VDI.
Highlights from the survey, which is based on more than 100 interviews with senior network IT professionals from organizations with 5,000 to 200,000 employees, include the following disturbing facts about the current state of operational effectiveness:
- 23 percent of organizations experience serious service-affecting problems on a daily basis
- An additional 25 percent admit to experiencing serious network issues each month
- Organizations’ hardest network problems can take up to 30 days or more to rectify, making MAX-TTR (maximum time-to-resolution) an expensive issue for large, resource-constrained organizations
- Organizations can have up to 250 performance-related trouble tickets open at any given time, with half of respondents reporting that at least 50 percent of their trouble tickets stay open for more than 24 hours
- Nearly 40 percent of respondents noted that they do not know which applications are in use on their network, while 53 percent admit that employees use applications that violate IT policies
- Despite an abundance of monitoring tools, nearly 30 percent of organizations do not have a clear understanding of bandwidth utilization, which makes troubleshooting end-user issues extremely challenging
Large organizations have estimated that the cost of network downtime ranges from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars per hour. For obvious reasons, minimizing Time-to-Resolution on all types of service-affecting issues has become a top priority for organizations, putting IT operational teams squarely in the spotlight.
Comments from survey respondents confirmed that processes for diagnosing and remediating difficult issues are often ad-hoc.
“Most IT shops have invested heavily in detection technologies that alert on issues and correlation technologies that attempt to filter and triage the most important issues. But what we’ve learned from this study is that many shops still face long resolution times far too often.” said Spencer Greene, senior vice president of marketing and product management at Endace “As a result of this learning, we’re working with organizations to apply network history to the problem of MAX-TTR.”
The survey highlights a range of symptoms that can be dramatically improved with access to network history information.
The complete survey can be downloaded here.
Endace provides world-leading intelligent network recording and visibility infrastructure, trusted by global organizations to accelerate response to network and security issues, manage IT risk, improve operational efficiency and maximize network uptime.
Endace Intelligent Network Recorders guarantee to capture, index and record 100% of network traffic while scaling from 1 Gbps to 100G. EndaceVision is Endace's proprietary web-based application that enables engineers to visualize, search and retrieve network traffic from any Intelligent Recorder anywhere across the network.
Endace's marketing headquarters is in Sunnyvale, California. R&D is in Auckland, New Zealand. Sales offices across the US, in Reading, UK and Sydney, Australia provide support for customers.
Quoted on London's AIM, the stock code is LSE: EDA.L.
+ 1 (650) 308 4696
+ 1 (415) 512 0770
For more than 15 years, Endace has provided high-speed, network recording and visibility solutions to monitor and protect some of the world’s largest, most complex networks. Customers include global banks, telcos and service providers, media and broadcast companies, health organizations, retailers, e-commerce and web giants, governments and large enterprises. Customers choose Endace technology because it can monitor and capture network traffic with 100% accuracy regardless of network speeds or loads. It can scale to meet the needs of the fastest networks and is built on an open architecture that enables integration with a wide variety of custom, open source and commercial solutions.
Endace PR Contacts
New Zealand: Mark Evans, Mobile: +64-21-494 850
USA/EMEA: Kelly Dorsey, Mobile: +1-818-436 9646