Endace Application Dock
Every organization has a unique set of network monitoring requirements which aren't necessarily met by EndaceVision in totality, which is why we have developed the Endace Application Dock.
Application Dock is a unique and highly optimized virtualized application hosting environment that enables customers to run up to six applications in parallel on each System in their monitoring fabric. It enables hosted applications to benefit from our line-rate 100% accurate packet capture capability, which immediately improves the quality of the output of locally hosted applications. By hosting multiple monitoring tools on the same hardware platform organizations can also benefit from hardware consolidation which addresses often serious resource constraints in the data centre. Applications running in Dock can be integrated with EndaceVision™ to take advantage of it's rapid event investigate workflow if appropriate.
Hosting applications in the Application Dock enables organizations to:
- Host multiple applications or multiple instances of the same application on the same system to ensure effective scaling. Load balancing between virtual machines is supported.
- Filter and classify packets before they are presented to the application, making the application more efficient and productive (removing any filtering overhead from the application).
- Control the system resources being consumed by a particular application using the remote management tools available on the Endace Management Server.
- Become more flexible and fluid in the way that they deploy and manage applications in the field.
Working out whether your application is compatible with the Endace Application Dock couldn't be easier. There are two considerations:
- Operating system – Any application that is built on Unix/Linux should work
- Packet retrieval method – DAG, Libpcap and PF_Ring are all supported methods of extracting packets from the wire.
Custom application hosting
For more than ten years organizations all over the world have used Endace Intelligent Recorders and Endace DAG™ cards as the foundation for a wide range of custom surveillance, measurement, security and network monitoring applications.
The architecture on which all Endace Recorders are based is the ideal host for any monitoring application that relies on captured and timestamped packets as the core input. Leveraging our proprietary DAG® I/O technology, the architecture ensures that every application hosted in the Endace Application Dock virtual hosting environment receives a feed of 100% accurate network traffic as well as the required amount of system resources power to run efficiently.
The Endace Application Dock leverages the DAG API that has been the mainstay of all our cards and systems for the last ten years, but introduces a portfolio of new and exciting capabilities.